Mindfulness In Education: Children
The Mindfulness Center
Considerable research has shown that children who learn Mindfulness Meditation have greater attentiveness, clarity of focus and clarity of thought. Other effects of meditation include greater sense of peacefulness and stillness, feelings of centeredness, and improved memory. Data indicates that Mindfulness Meditation has lasting effects of reversing or eliminating symptoms of ADHD. The outcomes include improved cognitive performance, improved coping skills and school performance, and improved test scores and grades. Secondary outcomes include greater social skills and educational outcome, as well as improved mood and mental status.
Benefits of mindfulness for children:
• Improved academic performance, cognitive skills and executive functioning
• Enhanced self-expression.
• Greater social skills and leadership skills
• Improved attendance rates and graduation rates
• Improved motivation for college readiness.
• Better emotional and physical well-being, Children who practice meditation see an 83% increase in focus and 89% improvement in emotion regulation.
• Increased levels of naturally occurring serotonin and endorphins, and reduced levels of cortisol and adrenalin, helping children sleep better at night and feeling and function better during the day.
• Meditation supports brain function and working memory - Students practicing meditation while studying for the GRE saw a 60-point increase in their scores over those who did not
• Teaching meditation to students lead to a 98% attendance rate, 21% increase in graduation, 45% decrease in suspension rate, and a 40% reduction in psychological stress, anxiety, and depression in a study of high-schoolers.
• A Baltimore school replaced detention with meditation, showing increased attention and calmer behavior in class, along with the suspension rate dropping to zero.
"EVERY CHILD THRIVES": A MINDFULNESS PROGRAM FOCUSED ON EACH CHILD'S OPTIMAL WELL-BEING
• The Mindfulness Center offers private sessions for children and families. Our group classes are appropriate for children 15 and older.
• We also offer mindfulness and yoga programs for schools. For information, please contact Amanda.
• 8 classes is all it takes to make a significant, positive, life-long change in a child's life.