Internships & Volunteer Opportunities
Volunteer Service Providers and Faculty Opportunities
Apply now for consideration in The Mindfulness Center’s Community Teaching program.
The Mindfulness Center is a non-profit wellness center, providing evidence-based mind-body therapies and education, and conducting scientific research to maintain the highest quality of care.
What if one class could change your life? Whether taking a class or teaching a class, mind-body classes have the potential to change people's lives. Joining The Mindfulness Center’s Community Teaching Program is your opportunity to give back to your community. Working with special needs populations has its own rewards and unique challenges. Whether you want to work with members of your community who are suffering with pain and associated chronic conditions like cancer and heart disease, or warriors who have recently served in the Middle East, or with children who are struggling with the everyday stressors of life, behavioral health or learning abilities, The Mindfulness Center, offers a unique opportunity to give back and make a difference.
Apply now to volunteer and join our experienced team of health care providers!
Be a hero. Help save lives. It's that simple. Join us by contacting us at: Jessie@TheMindfulnessCenter.org or calling 301-986-1090. Provider interviews and faculty auditions are ongoing. (TMC offers CE’s for qualifying health care providers.)
Internship Opportunities in Health and the Business of Health Care
The Mindfulness Center is a 501c3 charitable, educational and scientific organization. The Mindfulness Center is a leader in the new health paradigm, embracing optimal wellness and empowering people to heal themselves. Join this rapidly growing business and enjoy free classes and the opportunity to meet a community of healthy living while learning the practice, evidence-basis and business of caring for health.
The Mindfulness Center Internships are training opportunities offering educational studies in mind-body therapies, the business of mind-body health care and the science of mind-body research. Interns are closely supervised by faculty, staff and service providers. This is an unpaid position but there is no fee to participate in an internship at The Mindfulness Center. Interns are expected to demonstrate commitment to their training. Academic credit for an internship may be earned at academic institutions of higher learning. Fees and other logistics for this credit are the responsibility of the intern. Senior interns in their second year of training, who plan to pursue a career in integrative health care, may be considered for a stipend in order to continue their studies at The Mindfulness Center.
Learning opportunities include:
•Close supervision by faculty, staff and mind-body therapists.
•Attendance at regularly scheduled classes for free.
•Participate in workshops, seminars, and other special event training programs and activities.
•Weekly reviews with immediate supervisor, Executive Director and other Directors of The Mindfulness Center, who closely supervise this training.
Institutions offering academic credit for Internship at The Mindfulness Center:
•George Mason University
•George Washington University
•University of Maryland
•10-20 hours/week on average (or more if credit requires)
•Commitment to healthful lifestyle practices.
Note - other institutions may also offer credit. Please check with your academic advisor or department for details
Internship Opportunities Available:
- Communications Internship Opportunities for learning multimedia communications development, public relations/press communication, video production, and social networking for a non-profit wellness center. Wonderful opportunity to work in a thriving, healthy work-site, meeting like-minded individuals, and communicating the message of healthy living. Learn to apply multimedia communication and/or public relations skills to the burgeoning field of integrative health care. Supervised by the Program Director.
- Development Internship Opportunity to learn fund-raising and writing grant-proposals for a non-profit providing charitable, integrative wellness programs to help those with cancer; individuals recovering from addiction, children with learning disabilities, and veterans. Be a part of a movement to create community-based, wellness-focused health care. Supervised by the Director of Development.
- Event Coordinator Internship Learn the process of developing and implementing Wellness Programs including wellness retreats, lecture/workshop events and wellness classes and series. Learn to develop and promote exercise programs, including yoga, aerobics, tai chi and personal training. Opportunity to meet and work with leaders in the health field. Supervised by the Program Director.
- Marketing and Advertising Internship Opportunity to learn non-profit marketing and advertising. Interns will learn to develop and implement marketing strategies and advertising for wellness programs. Will learn to use Constant Contact email marketing program and other multi-media resources. Opportunity to learn and communicate healthy living programs. Supervised by the Program Director.
- Social Media Marketing Internship Opportunity to learn about and use social media, such as Facebook, Meetup, blogs and other online outlets to market wellness programs. Opportunity to network with thousands of experts and consumers in the wellness industry. Supervised by the Program Director.
- Wellness Programming Internship Learn to develop and implement Wellness Programs including wellness retreats, lecture/workshop events and wellness classes and series. Interns will learn the specialty field of developing and promoting meditation and exercise programs, including yoga, aerobics, tai chi and personal training. Opportunity to meet and work with leaders in the health field. Supervised by the Executive Director.
- Finance Internship Learn accounting for non-profit health care center. Gain experience in management of financial records, preparation of budget reports, and budget planning. Opportunity to be involved in the unique financial planning and record-keeping responsibilities for a non-profit 501c3 organization. May be invited to attend meetings of the Board of Directors. Supervised by the Director of Business Operations.
- Research Science Internship Interns interested in conducting research in complementary and alternative medicine, and in learning to write grants and proposals for other scientific funding opportunities, will have the opportunity to work closely with the Executive Director, Dr. Deborah Norris. Research Science Interns at The Mindfulness Center learn the broad realm of the science of mind-body therapies, including theory, practice, mechanisms of action, clinical measures and outcomes, research design, getting published and getting funding. Interns become familiar with federal granting agencies, their application procedures and interests, as well as private foundation sources of support. The Mindfulness Center provides extensive educational resources for learning the existing evidence-basis for mind-body practices. Under the tutelage of Dr. Norris, research interns receive high-level training in the application of these resources to the science of holistic health care. Post-doctoral and other post-graduate students may apply directly to Deborah Norris, Ph.D., Executive Director.
Apply for an internship: please send cover letter indicating desired area of study, and resume, to: Roxanne@TheMindfulnessCenter.org.